Jun 13, 2003

The good news this week happened yesterday. Steve Phillips finally got his ass fired! Speaking as a Mets fan, YYYYYYYYYaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy! So much for blaming Bobby Valentine for the Mets woes.

The other day, after the doubleheader sweep, Sara was commenting on how Bobby Valentine would’ve gotten himself thrown out of the game to stir up the players. Art Howe doesn’t do stuff like that and maybe that’s why he’s not the guy to manage the Mets.

I’m actually liking the Mets a lot these days. That would seem funny to some people since they’re in last place but, I’m liking this team a lot more than the one that came out of spring training.

Spring training:
Mo Vaughn 1B
Roberto Alomar 2B
Rey Sanchez SS
Ty Wigginton 3B
Cliff Floyd LF
Roger Cedeno CF
Jeromy Burnitz RF
Mike Piazza C

now we have:
Jason Phillips 1b
Joe McEwing 2B
Jose Reyes SS
Ty Wiggington 3B
Cliff Floyd LF
Tyoshi Shinjo CF
Jeromy Burnitz RF
Vance Wilson C

Don’t get me wrong, I like Mike Piazza but I’ve thought Vance Wilson should’ve been catching for awhile now with Piazza moving to first base. Would it be so crazy to get the Mets to swap Alomar with the Giants for Alfonzo? Alomar as a free agent would enable the Giants to get out of Alfonzo’s contract and could probably be motivated to be responsible for some of Alfonzo’s salary (2 million per) plus, you could also maybe get back a low minor leaguer.

I still like the starting rotation. The only thing I would see the Mets doing (now that Astacio isn’t coming back) is making a big push for Andy Petite (another free agent in the off-season). I have this feeling the Yankees undervalue Petite and I wouldn’t be surprised for the Yankees to make a big push to grab Kevin Millwood who will also be a free agent this year (remember, you heard it here first). Mets starting rotation would be Glavine, Leiter, Petite, Trachsel and Seo. Middle relief is an issue but, it’s easier to get a middle reliever than a starter.

Also, Sanchez, Alomar and Vaughn will be gone (Leiter, Benitez are also free agents). Bench players would be Phillips, McEwing, Perez, Cedeno. That’s the start of a good scrappy team. Shea Stadium isn’t made for sluggers it’s made for guys who hit for average and pitchers that let ’em hit the ball (because the stadium isn’t a home run park).

No comments: